DESCRIPTION OF THE GROUP
Our field of interests consists of three areas in which chemistry, biology and physics are interwoven:
- Biological “Soft Matter”, especially relations between structure of biopolymers and their macroscopic properties. Application of physicochemically modified proteins as new bionanomaterials.
- Physicochemical and molecular foundations of conformational diseases, aggregation and amyloidogenesis of proteins; problem of unambiguity in coding of structural information in propagation of amyloid; exotic beta-sheet structures.
- Non-Anfinsenian behavior of proteins: memory effect and chiral bifurcation as highly non-equilibrium processes, accompanying incorrect folding of polypeptides and proteins.
Professor Wojciech Dzwolak
THE LEADER OF THE GROUP
Professor Wojciech Dzwolak,
phone:+ 48 22 55 26567,
room number 1.09. CNBCh UW
Agnieszka Hernik M.Sc.,
Robert Dec M.Sc.,
Bartosz Niżyński M.Sc.
- JASCO 815 Circular Dichroism spectrometer (conformational research on proteins);
- FLS980 Edinburgh Instruments fluorescence spectrometer for recording of stationary emission and excitation spectra in the range of UV-vis, and for measurements of fluorescence anisotropy;
- FT-IR Nicolet iS50 ThermoScientific spectrometer for recording of transmission spectra in infrared (CaF2 cell) and ATR spectra, due to an iS50 ATR module – for conformational research on proteins, in the range of amid I/I’. Analysis of protein MG states – research on kinetics of H/D exchange.
- UV-VIS Evolution 220 ThermoScientific spectrometer for routine spectrophotometric measurements of proteins.